[lbo-talk] Juan Cole: preliminary reactions to the Iranian vote totals

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sun Jun 14 07:27:50 PDT 2009

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 00:58:59 -0400 Bhaskar Sunkara <bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com> wrote:

> An election of a moderate would’ve
> allowed Obama to engage with Iran more, maybe deferred their nuclear
> ambitions and thus comparatively weaken the power of US-backed client
> regimes in the Middle-East.

Ah, the subjunctive mood. Wonderful thing, the subjunctive mood. Would it not be equally plausible to imagine that Israel and the US would have found *something* to get hysterical about with any degree of "moderation" short of downright capitulation?

Somebody should write a critique of the word "moderate". Here's Noam Chomsky with (as usual for him) a good starting point:

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org