[lbo-talk] Juan Cole: preliminary reactions to the Iranian vote totals

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sun Jun 14 09:44:17 PDT 2009

On Sun, June 14, 2009 8:39 am, Eric Beck wrote:

> As a side note, it's always entertaining, for a few minutes anyway, to
> witness the joy with which leftists play at geopolitics.

I can't speak for others, but any critique of geopolitics *should* have a moment of playfulness, of utopian wishing which overshoots its object, in the sense that the drama of human liberation is the greatest story ever told. The corrective on this, of course, is self-critique -- thinking against our own layers of accumulated privilege. Put even more bluntly, any contemporary geopolitical meditation must rise to the concrete level of the developmental state.

-- DRR