[lbo-talk] Kenneally, some notes and background

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jun 14 17:01:13 PDT 2009

Check the Pen-L archives for a recent thread, carried out primarily by Doyle and ravi, under the subject heading, Epigenetics. I haven't read the thread yet but I browsed in it along the way and it has an important discussion of the "downgrading" of genes in recent genetic science. Probably no one not at least semi-professionally involved in genetics should make pronouncements on "what genes do" without first checking this thread (or similar sources which I presume exist on the web). I also call attention to an article by Richard Ledwontin in NYRB a number of years ago, followed by a vigorous debate in later issues, in which Lewontin declares that "the tb bacillus does NOT cause TB - i.e., that it 'causes' tb only under specific social conditios. TB then, as Miles says of blue eyes, is an emergent property.

I still think that Miles and Michael Smith should explore ways at arriving at some sort of shared formulation of their argument on this genenral issue.