[lbo-talk] Dali's trial

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 15 10:43:08 PDT 2009

At 05:53 PM 6/12/2009, Chris Doss wrote:

>He took transgression seriously. (Like Genet and Sade did.)

I was thinking of Genet when Chuck said the other day:

"I am posting this because it is the funniest description of the German occupation of France I ever read. "

People used to ask Genet about his comments on the attractions of Nazi style. In one interview I remember he said you have to understand that I hated France so much for what it had done to me that I could not help but somehow admire anyone who was giving it to France.

I think there's a big difference between Dali and Genet. Dali was a prankster and at the end of the day simple and uncomplicated. Genet was a foundling whose animosity toward the bourgeoisie came from a very different place. Dali and Warhol cultivated and jumped at the chance to be superstars. Genet never was or wanted to be a star. His was a different and much more complicated story and I think Chuck gets to the heart of it here:

"You get to make plenty of money as an trivial amusement like Andy Warhol, or you can face the grit of hard times."

Genet faced hard times most of his life and that set him and his work apart from Warhol and Dali.