[lbo-talk] One or two flawed historical analogies (was Re: Stratfor: Western Misconceptions Meet Iranian Reality)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 16 06:18:02 PDT 2009

Frankly, I think this is dogma that is not born out by the fact that the longest-lived societies in human history have been (sometimes extremely) authoritarian, whereas historical examples of nonauthoritarian societies are slim to none. (By "society" I mean "large society.")

It also assumes that elites are inherently characterized by large (that is, unmanageable) levels of interelite violence that is somehow more destabilizing than other forms of social conflict.