[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Jun 16 13:55:03 PDT 2009

On Jun 16, 2009, at 4:43 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2009, at 4:35 PM, ravi wrote:
>
>> How is it that a rural voter choosing Ahmadinejad is in reality
>> being a fool, which (s)he would not be if (s)he voted for Mousavi?
>
> Is a white hick who voted for Bush or McCain at all duped?

I was toying with that question myself. But is this the right analogy (are we back at "What's the matter with Kansas"?)? Bush/McCain are not and do not claim to be economic populists, do they? AFAIK Ahmadinejad claims to be so, and from the little I know, he seems to have instituted some redistribution programs[?]. On the other hand, some white hicks voted for Bush because of the Christianity thing and on that front, the hick was choosing his best option. If Iranians are choosing along those same lines (adherence to Islam) then again Ahmadinejad seems to be their logical choice.

--ravi