[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 14:31:45 PDT 2009

>From what I can tell Mousavi ran on promises of liberal restrucuring and
austerity. Maybe these would solve Iran's problems and maybe they wouldn't, but it doesn't seem irrational for a poor voter to fear them. Accepting that poor Iranians know more about poor Iranians' economic situation than we do, I don't see any reason to assume that the majority who see Ahmedinejad as more attractive than Mousavi are dupes. And poor whites generally don't vote for Republicans unless there are a lot of non-whites in their state, in which case they do have very plausible economic reasons for voting for the party they judge to be more committed to white supremacy.