[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 06:28:39 PDT 2009

One, and most minorly, nobody in the former Soviet Union generally uses the word "stalinism" to refer to the political system either during or after Stalin. "Stalinskii" is a word generally applied to architecture.

Two, nobody in the former Soviet Union, of whatever political persuasion, even the most rabid anti-Communist, believes that the USSR, during or after Stalin, was devoid of personal or political freedoms. Curtailed, yes. Devoid, no. I swear it's like you guys think the KGB was monitoring everybody 24 hours a day. :)

Third, and most specifically, this: 'Their "ire" was "more directed at the system" that denied them the most elementary personal and political freedoms. And constantly insulted their intelligence.'

In fact, their ire was, specifically, economic, aimed at the fact that they did not live as well as their counterparts in the West.