[lbo-talk] Obama's sell-out of the public plan, cont'd

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 07:06:27 PDT 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/us/politics/17health.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper

[...]

And in an interview with CNBC and The New York Times, Mr. Obama expressed a willingness to compromise on his call for a new public insurance plan to compete with private insurers.

Republicans strongly oppose that idea, and some Democrats are pushing an alternative that would create nonprofit health cooperatives instead.

“We’re open-minded,” Mr. Obama said. “If, for example, the cooperative idea that Kent Conrad has put forward, if that is a better way to reduce costs and help families and businesses with their health care, I’m more than happy to accept those good ideas.”

[...]