[lbo-talk] Obama's sell-out of the public plan, cont'd

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 07:45:29 PDT 2009

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> [WS:} Why do you call it Obama's sell-out. As if there were broad consensus that a public health care plan be implemented, and Mr. Obama tried to subvert that consensus.

Because he said he was for it but now he's not.

> The reality is, however, that the very structure of the US government - the political parties and their business patrons, and the staunchly pro-capitalist court system - will ensure that no national health care program, or for that matter _any_ truly national programs save the military be implemented as long as as the US political system exists in its current form - Obama or Nobama.

I wouldn't be so categorical, but I basically agree. I wish more people on the left would see that it's structure of the US government that's doing much of the work, not "betrayal" or the perfidiousness of "the Democrats." Unfortunately Marx, being only one guy, didn't have quite enough time to do a full-scale analysis of the differential effects of alternative political institutions under capitalism, so the whole issue is now deemed "un-Marxist."

SA