[lbo-talk] paranoia

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Jun 18 09:43:56 PDT 2009

On Jun 18, 2009, at 12:22 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Jun 18, 2009, at 12:13 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
> Eric Beck wrote:
>>>
>>> [Chavez's persecution mania knows no bounds. Anyone else aware of
>>> this
>>> "vicious and unfounded campaign" he's speaking of? As far as I can
>>> tell, "the outside" has been quiet and cautious.]
>>>

>> Whatever ignoramus wrote this is either ignorant of U.S. history in
>> Latin America -- or lying.
>
> I realize you've got serious problems with reading, and my
> sympathies for that, but Eric's comment was a reaction to what
> Chavez' gov said about Iran, not anything the U.S. is doing in Latin
> America. So maybe you could hold off on attacking things you haven't
> read?

Sorry, I think Carrol is basically right (shorn of the macho language). "Chavez's persecution mania knows no bounds" is not just a comment about a specific incident (response to Iranian election results). If Chavez has an opinion, about exactly one situation, that turns out to be wrong, it wouldn't be a "persecution mania". And when you tack on "knows no bounds" its pretty clear that the author believes that this particular case is an extreme example of an existing ailment.

It is saddening to see us use right-wing terms like these, which are intended to shortcut substantial thinking.

--ravi