[lbo-talk] Israel and the Iranian election (Was: paranoia)

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Thu Jun 18 10:45:02 PDT 2009

Doug writes:

> On Jun 18, 2009, at 12:57 PM, Julio Huato wrote:
>
>> I think we can take for granted that the main source of the opposition
>> in Iran is endogenous. But that does not exclude that the CIA and the
>> Mossad may be trying to exploit the situation to advance their
>> agendas
>
> Israel wants Ahmadinejad to stay in office. He's a perfect demon for
> them.
=================================== The Israeli right does, for that reason which rests on questionable foundations.

But the Labour Party and Kadima leadership appear to be following Obama's lead: quietly hoping that the opposition succeeds and softens Iran's foreign policy stance but publicly adopting a pose of studied "neutrality" so as not to taint it by association. Netanyahu has also reportedly fallen into line behind the Obama administration.

I agree with Julio that "we can take for granted" the CIA's likely involvement. I would say the same about the Mossad, except for the suggestion in Benn's article that intelligence officials may be among those in the right-wing camp who see Ahmadinejad as an asset.

List subscribers in Israel would know more.

Meanwhile, see:

ANALYSIS / Ahmadinejad win actually preferable for Israel By Amos Harel and Avi Issacharoff, Haaretz Correspondent June 14 2009

The narrow strategic thinking of pro-Ahmadinejad Israelis By Aluf Benn June 17 2009