[lbo-talk] Galloway it will soon fizzle out

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 18 11:10:30 PDT 2009

Eric Beck wrote:

> [At first I thought this was just another data point proving what
> an asshole Galloway is. Now I realize it's more than that: He's

An Julio replied

"What are the other data points that you're presuming we, readers, know or should know about? Maybe I'm misinformed or underinformed (or both), but George Galloway has shown to be a social fighter of worth in the international left. "

Maybe Eric is an anarchist at heart, and hates all leaders. But though you are right to laud Galloway's bolder initiatives (like his evidence to the US Congressional Committee) he also capable of being a bit of an ass. He built up the Respect party as a lively left wing opposition to the Labour Party, only to pull it all crashing around his head (and a few other people's as well) out of egotism as much as anything. He made more than a few dubious alliances with local religious leaders to garner support, and made sure that gay rights were off that agenda so as not to jeopardise that. And then there was that 'Big Brother' appearance, which, though it was not such a terrible idea, he really did not handle very well. That pretty much ruined his reputation among a certain age group (or so my nephew tells me) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w5dUo74xeY&feature=related

Nowadays he has a better reputation abroad than he does in Britain.

Still, he did take on the political establishment with flair and imagination. And I particularly remember him fielding a question with great generosity about whether he was really taking the minority rights agenda forward by defeating one of parliament's few black women members (Oona King): 'She's very talented', he said. 'I am sure we will be seeing more of her'. Oona King has been a key Gordon Brown advisor since, and just landed a plum job as Channel Four's diversity officer.