[lbo-talk] paranoia

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Thu Jun 18 14:46:15 PDT 2009

Carrol writes:

> Regardless what the facts are re the election, can anyone seriously
> suggest that the u.s. is not deeply involved in "diestabalizing" Iran,
> and using tactcs, in fact , hauntingly similar to those kused by the
> Eisenhower Administration in overthrowing Mossedegh. People write about
> u.s. foreign policy as though it has no history, or that history is
> irrelevant.
================================== This is a truism which I don't believe anyone would dispute. When have empires, states, corporations, political parties, unions, etc. not sought to covertly intervene in the affairs of opponents to promote changes more in accord with their interests, including takeovers?

The issues here are 1) what electoral outcome is favoured by the US and Israel in Iran? It's not clear that the Obama and Netanyahu governments and their intelligence services view things the same way; and 2) how much are they directing or influencing the the Iranian opposition? The latter from this distance seems to be operating far more independently of the CIA and it's allied agencies than appears to have been the case in the Ukraine, Georgia, and the Philippines, for example.