[lbo-talk] exploitation of pro-athletes was Re: Hamid Dabashi onIran

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Jun 18 21:16:00 PDT 2009

Sheldon:

> Now I do understand your point about exploitation being a technical term
> in
> a Marxist sense, that owners in the sports industry appropriate surplus
> value from athlete workers. Even so, the highly paid professional athlete
> is still left with a relatively gargantuan share of the surplus product.
> Often enough to employ as capital to invest and become capitalists
> themselves.

Mostly at the public teat -- first through stadium costs, then through ticket prices, cable/satellite fees, team merchandise, etc. And most fans go along without a struggle, venting what frustration they have on sports radio shows. But they still buy into the system.

A splendid racket, if you're on the right end.

Dennis