[lbo-talk] exploitation of pro-athletes was Re: Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Fri Jun 19 08:02:16 PDT 2009

At 8:24 AM -0500 19/6/09, Carrol Cox wrote:

>value of their labor power and the value they create. Barry Bonds salary
>8is mniscule in comparison to the immense wealth for baseball owners, tv
>corporations, newspapers, madison avenue, etc that his labor has
>generated.

The premise here must be that the star players create all the value and all the other people who work in the industry don't create any of the value.

It seems a giant presumption.

I would love to know what leads you to believe that a bloke playing a game is the origin of all this wealth rather than all those other people, even the marketing people who created the desire to go watch the game, or the builders who built the sports ground, or the people who made the ball and mowed the grass.

As someone here has pointed out a few times, all production is social. It makes as much sense to suggest that the star players are solely responsible for creating the value of this industry, as it would to nominate that the ball is.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas