[lbo-talk] exploitation of pro-athletes was Re: Hamid Dabashi onIran

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 19 11:37:39 PDT 2009

At 11:20 AM 6/19/2009, ravi wrote:

>>Moralism seems to
>>cater to that longing - but instead is another version of the heart of
>>the heartless world, the opium of the unclear leftist.
>

>Well yeah, not all stomachs can tolerate Milton. Funny to see you
>disparage "moralism" and talk about "heartless world"s at the same
>time.

Why funny? Though I think this topic reached ad nauseum on lbotalk some time ago, it is interesting that people keep talking past each other.

It seems to me that Carroll is saying "heart of the heartless world" is the kind of moral/utopian trope that he considers worse than not useful. Why is it funny he would name the thing he's arguing against?