[lbo-talk] exploitation of pro-athletes was Re: Hamid Dabashi on Iran

joseph noonan joseph at noonan.ws
Fri Jun 19 14:04:18 PDT 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> George Will said

Please, I just ate lunch.

> I don't think anyone here would argue against what you're saying in
> broad terms, but sports isn't the best illustration. In sports, without
> the athlete there is no product. People were watching it before it was
> marketed and before anyone built stadiums to play in.

But this is circular, isn't it? With no admission fees, or marketing, or stadia, etc, etc, there is no surplus value to extract, no? I mean, you are comparing a pre-capitalist relation with a capitalist one, aren't you?

Sure, there is no game w/o the athlete, but there is no "professional sports" w/o a whole bunch of other stuff too.