[lbo-talk] exploitation of pro-athletes was Re: Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Fri Jun 19 16:25:29 PDT 2009

Matthias Wasser wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Eubulides <paraconsistent at comcast.net>wrote:
>

>> It also presupposes the self-ownership thesis; a doctrine G.A. Cohen has
>> argued, rather convincingly, leftists should abandon.
>>

> If our concept of value is scientific it shouldn't be affected by what moral
> theories we adopt. I'm skeptical of the utility* of "value" as an economic
> concept in general, though.

> *I'm terrible, sorry.

Value is a zombie concept in pe. Just think of all the valuation theories/strategies that got wiped out in the last 2+ years.

I don't think Cohen was pursuing a moral theory to replace self-ownership's family of theories; he invited people to rethink the norms of freedom while maintaining that exploitation was a valid concept in pe even as self-ownership could be dispensed with. Normative political theories need not co-develop with theories of ethics/morality, nor does it seem plausible for the latter to facilitate the overcomeability of the political re the tensions/contradictions in the social structuring of freedoms.

Ian