[lbo-talk] UPDATE on WBAI

Mitchel Cohen mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 20 09:22:39 PDT 2009

Hi!

If you would like to find out more about the many changes that are occuring for the better at WBAI from the people who actually work at the station, please check out the podcast of Report to the Listener that was broadcast last Wednesday, June 17.

Just click on http://archive.wbai.org/

and click PLAY for Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 3 pm

Featured are LaVarn Williams, acting General Manager at WBAI Indra Hardat, Business Manager Yvonne Singh, Premiums Director Jose Santiago, News Director Kathy Davis, Public Affairs Director Shawn Rhodes, interim Operations Director Ethan Young, Elections Supervisor

Among the hilights are

- Jose Santiago's eloquent statement about the vast improvement of working conditions at WBAI since the new management team took charge and what that means; and

- LaVarn Williams' reading of the actual March 23rd 3-Day legal notice from the landlord demanding $130,000 in back rent or "surrender of premises", and her announcement that Chuck D. will soon begin a radio show; and the expansion of feminist programming at WBAI.

- Kathy Davis's heartfelt "welcome back" to WBAI's airwaves of Robert Knight!

- Shawn Rhodes ideas for improving operations at WBAI, for the first time openly discussed on the air.

- Yvonne Singh's hopeful reports on the sending out of premiums.

- Indra Hardat's hoepful report on the improving financial situation at WBAI, at long last!

All of the above are things that the Independents on the Local Station Board have fought very hard for and made possible by their votes, despite the scorched earth tactics of the Justice and Unity disgruntlers and the personal abuse they have heaped on those of us bent on improving the radio station. I am very proud to have been part of the Independents on the Board, and will continue to fight to improve working conditions and finances and DEEPEN the programming at WBAI.

If you would like to become a candidate for the LSB, please download the forms you'll need from wbai.org. In addition, please get in touch with me ASAP and I'll let you know of some events coming up that might interest you. Write to me immediately, please, at mitchelcohen at mindspring.com.

And, if you would like to become a member -- which allows you to vote in the very important upcoming WBAI elections -- you need to send in your $25 NOW, before June 30th, to WBAI, 120 Wall Street., 10th floor, NYC 10005

Thank you, all!

Mitchel Cohen Chair, WBAI Local Station Board