[lbo-talk] Rousseau v. Marx

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Jun 20 19:50:16 PDT 2009

"It's as though, for this list, living contenental thinkers simply don't count. I don't know whether it is Anglophonic snobbery or what, but no one seems to be actively inteested in what is going on now in European marxist thought (leaving aside such circus performers as Zizek)."

I read the essay twice, and I read his essay on Post-Fascism, which I thought was excellent. Both essays sit by my bedside, along with the 18th Brumaire and Capital....all of which I mean to get to and consolidate in my head....somewhere between finishing the Tillie Olsen article, finishing my ballet, attending to my full time job, and mothering a teenager.

I think list members have widely different amounts of time and degrees of involvement in activism and teaching/scholarship. I will confess that I come to the list as to a virtual water cooler, to hear about books, writers, artists, issues I do not normally hear about because I am no longer in academia and do not belong to a leftist party. I think it's wrong to conclude that absence of discussion = lack of interest. It may have more to do with the limits of this format (chat group) and the number of things one can fit in a day.

Joanna