[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Lajany Otum lajany_otum at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 21 15:33:46 PDT 2009

Doug Henwood writes:

> Have sanctions lifted, stop being seen as a pariah state, get rid of a president who embarrasses them around the world, etc. At least that's what Dabashi says - but, as Richard Seymour tells us, he's silly, despite having come from Iran and spent much of his professional life studying the country.

This is a true and accurate statement, provided we add that the only Court of World Opinion that counts in such matters of "embarassment" is the one constituted by the former colonial powers of Western Europe plus the states of North America and Australasia. For instance, I seem to recall that Ahmadinejad's speech before the recent meeting on racism, Durban II, being pretty well received by the nations of the South, while the ex-colonial powers of Western Europe marched out in a pique, the US and Australia having boycotted the meeting altogether.

Lajany Otum