[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sun Jun 21 17:19:08 PDT 2009

Shane Mage asks:

> On Jun 21, 2009, at 5:42 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>
>> As a "right to lifer" ...
>
> I note the lower case. Right To Lifers are prohibitionists. Are you?
> Or are you just one of those men who would never ever have an abortion
> for "moral" rather than biological reasons?

I read the link he pointed to, and I gotta say: it's completely opaque to me what his point was. He's got some criticism of some of the reasons that Choice is supported, and I guess that can pass for making a point. His claim to the label "right to lifer" makes the article make more sense in that I read it with an eye toward "Where's the point he's going to make about being against abortion?" ... but that's about it. Oh, and he seems to have a strong dislike of "the left" (wtf?).

I suppose it's pretty easy to pick a handful of arguments, dismiss them one by one for various technicalities, and call it a day. I mean, he dos say that he asked around among his friends who've had one. Hey, that's good enough for Counterpunch?

/jordan