[lbo-talk] Juan Cole: Chatham House Study Definitively Shows Massive Fraud

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Jun 21 21:48:52 PDT 2009

http://www.juancole.com/2009/06/chatham-house-study-definitively-shows.html

Informed Comment

Monday, June 22, 2009

Chatham House Study Definitively Shows Massive Ballot Fraud in Iran's Reported Results

An authoritative study from Chatham House:

http://www.chathamhouse.org.uk/files/14234_iranelection0609.pdf

the renowned UK think

tank, finds that with regard to the official statistics on the recent

presidential election in Iran released by the Interior Ministry,

something is rotten in Tehran. The authors compared the provincial

returns in the 2005 and 2009 elections against the 2006 census and

found:

o In two Conservative provinces, Mazandaran and Yazd, a turnout of

more than 100% was recorded.

o At a provincial level, there is no correlation between the

increased turnout, and the swing to Ahmadinejad. This challenges

the notion that his victory was due to the massive participation

of a previously silent Conservative majority.

o In a third of all provinces, the official results would require

that Ahmadinejad took not only all former conservative voters,

and all former centrist voters, and all new voters, but also

up to 44% of former Reformist voters, despite a decade of

conflict between these two groups.

<snip>

Note that many reformists did not vote in 2005, because they had become

discouraged by the way the hard liners had blocked all their programs.

Some 10.5 million persons who did not vote in 2005 did vote in 2009. It

is highly unlikely that most of these non-voters in 2005 were

conservatives who now came out for Ahmadinejad in 2009. But to do as

well as the regime claimed, Ahmadinejad would have needed to attract

substantial numbers of these voters to himself.

<snip>

Even in East Azerbaijan, here were the numbers in 2005

Ahmadinejad: 198,417

Hard Liners 232,043

Non-voters: 684,745

Rafsanjani (pragmatic conservatives): 268,954

Reformists: 690,784

and the result in 2009:

Ahmadinejad: 1,131,111

We could say that a little over 400,000 of these votes are not

surprising, since that is the number that was hard line in 2005. But

Ahmadinejad picked up over 700,000 votes after 4 years. The non-voters

may probably mostly be counted as reformists. So again, Ahmadinejad

needed all the non-voters in 2005 to switch to him in 2009 plus a large

proportion of the Rafsanjani voters. It makes not sense. And this

outcome requires us to believe he picked up all those votes among

people who deeply disliked him 4 years ago despite running against a

favorite son from Azerbaijan! (And no, that Ahmadinejad speaks broken

Azeri would not make Azeris vote for him any more than Latinos voted in

2008 for all those Republicans who speak good Spanish.)

As I had noted earlier, the official results ask us to believe that

rural ethnic minorities (some of them Sunni!) who had long voted

reformist or for candidates of their ethnicity or region, had switched

over to Ahmadinejad. We have to believe that Mehdi Karroubi's support

fell from over 6 million to 330,000 over all, and that he, an ethnic

Lur, was defeated in Luristan by a hard line Persian Shiite. Or that

Ahmadinejad went from having 22,000 votes in largely Sunni Kurdistan to

about half a million! What, is there a new organization, "Naqshbandi

Sunni Sufis for Hard Line Shiism?" It never made any sense. People who

said it did make sense did not know what a Naqshbandi is. (Quick, ask

them before they can look it up at wikipedia).

I was careful in my initial discussion of why I thought the numbers

looked phony to say that catching history on the run is tough; and I

later characterized myself as a mere social historian (i.e. not a

pollster or statistician). But this study bears out most of my analysis

with the exception that the authors dispute any rural bias toward

Ahmadinejad. I think they are too categorical in this regard, however.

When people, including myself, said that rural people liked

Ahmadinejad, we meant Shiites living in Persian-speaking villages on

the Iranian plateau, in fair proximity to cities such as Isfahan,

Tehran and Shiraz. We weren't talking about Turkmen or Kurds (both

Sunnis), or about Lurs (everyone suspected Karroubi would get that

vote). I suspect that some of those to whom we referred as rural are

being categorized as living in 'small towns' by the Chatham House

authors. But field workers even in the Shiite, Persian-speaking

villages point out that they often encounter anti-Ahmadinejad

sentiments there, as well.

But that is neither here nor there. The numbers do not add up. You

can't have more voters than there are people. You can't have a complete

liberal and pragmatic-conservative swing behind hard liners who make

their lives miserable.

The election was stolen. It is there in black and white. Those of us

who know Iran, could see it plain as the nose on our faces, even if we

could not quantify our reasons as elegantly as Chatham House.

posted by Juan Cole @ 6/22/2009 12:30:00 AM