[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon Jun 22 08:36:45 PDT 2009

Doug:

> I really don't get this line of argument at all - and it's not just you,
> Dennis Perrin & Michael Smith are making similar points. I'm often deeply
> embarrassed by the leadership and prevailing ideology in the USA, not to
> mention actual material practices. But somehow there seems to be a wacky
> anti-imperialist line that holds that you can't criticize clowns abroad
> because we're afflicted with clowns at home.

I'm certainly not saying that. Kick Ahmedinejad all you like. He does nothing for me, nor do I see him as some kind of anti-imperial figure. But mainstream media and blogospheric commentary is overheated with the standard Good vs. Evil scenario, so I suppose that's what I'm really reacting to.

Dennis