[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Mon Jun 22 09:41:32 PDT 2009

ravi wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>> On Jun 22, 2009, at 10:50 AM, ravi wrote:
>>
>> Holocaust denial is a particular kind of lunacy - it's a way of
>> embracing an outlandish fiction that identifies you with the most
>> disreputable anti-Semites around. It's not like just reading your
>> horoscope or knocking on wood. It's a malignant position-taking.
>>

> Let us give you all that. But remember that its Ahmadinejad who takes
> this position, not the Iranian people. Should the [educated] Iranian
> people be embarrassed by his taking this position? Sure, perhaps in a
> cocktail party or some such. But in more serious terms, how does it
> make a material difference?

This kind of line makes it seem that Ahmadinejad opinion is equal to that of any general private Iranian citizen. Also to the fact that it is irrelevant. If it was such an irrelevant, minuscule part of his policy platform, why does he seem to bring it up on every occasion possible and lest you forget, have an international conference of Holocaust questioning/denial?

How does it matter materially to the average Iranian citizen? (and Palestinian?)... Well, it is just about the best fodder possible for the Israeli hasbara machine, plays into Israel's argument that Iran (and their tools in Palestine and Lebanon) is out to finish the job the Nazis started, ups the ante and adds fuel to the war of words between Israel and Iran, increasing the likelihood of tacit western backing for an Israeli attack on Iran, and all the shit that would come in its wake.

Maybe those aren't overriding factors, but materially irrelevant? I am not sure.

Bryan