[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Jun 22 13:02:00 PDT 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:05:14 -0500 Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Michael Smith<mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:
>
> > Is anybody actually saying this?
>
> No, but people are behaving as if that were the rule.

Really? Who? These vague gestures at unnamed "people" must have some discursive function, but I've never been able to figure out what it might be.

> > In support of... Al 'NAFTAman' Gore?
>
> A protest against Bush is supporting Gore? I give up then.

But the supposition was: crowds in the street about the stolen 2000 election. Wouldn't that have been in practice and intent a demand to place the rightful victor in the Death Star's pilot seat? What other purpose might it have had? A high-minded demand for purity of elections as a general principle? Let's go out and smash windows and make Dr Babbit the civics teacher proud.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org