[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jun 22 19:16:45 PDT 2009

wrobert at uci.edu wrote:

> I don't think that there has been one response on the part of the 'left'
> in the United States (small and fragmentary as it is). This discussion
> should be a strong indicator of that. robert wood

You saved me the trouble of looking up some of my old posts arguing that criticism of "The Left" was always wrong because "The Left" simply doesn't exist as a coherent entity. I use the term "coherent" to get away from the notion that a "unified" left requires a hegemonic party, which I do not think is the case, but it does require the power of some one or two over-riding issues that "left" forces must crudely cooperate on. No such issues as black liberation and the war now exist to enforce that kind of coherence among multiple centers.

Carrol