[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Jun 23 05:29:58 PDT 2009

I note with some pleasure that the late Shah's son has joined the pro-democracy forces:

http://cnn.site.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=Fighting+tears%2C+shah%27s+son+calls+crisis+a+%27moment+of+truth%27++-+CNN.com&expire=-1&urlID=405400667&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2009%2FWORLD%2Fmeast%2F06%2F22%2Firan.crown.prince%2Findex.html&partnerID=211911/

or:

http://tinyurl.com/the-peoplesprince

Fighting tears, shah's son calls crisis a 'moment of truth'

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The son of the former shah of Iran called Monday for solidarity against Iran's Islamic regime, warning that the democratic movement born out of the election crisis might not succeed without international support. [....] Pahlavi has lived in exile since 1979, when his father, Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi, was overthrown during the Islamic Revolution. Under the shah's regime, Iran saw nationalization of its oil and a strong movement toward modernization. Still, his secular programs and recognition of Israel cost him the support of the country's Shiite clergy, sparking clashes with the religious right and others who resented his pro-West views. [....] During his remarks, he broke into tears when he spoke of "bullets piercing our beloved Neda," [....] But he said there was a difference between interfering in a country's sovereign affairs and standing for principles of human rights and democracy.

I particularly liked the potted history of the Shah's enlightened commitment to "modernity".

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org