[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 10:25:26 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Michael Smith<mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:
> One can sympathize with lifestyle demands -- I like seeing girls
> in bikinis as much as anybody -- but still regard them as rather
> shallow.

Jesus H. Spoken like only a First World white male could say it. How far do you want to go with typifying something as a "lifestyle demand": segregated water fountains, buses, and schools seem like--I mean, who cares, it's just a bus? Abortion, like transgender and homosexual politics, is definitely a lifestyle choice, and pretty damn shallow. Who cares about the desires of a bunch of fags and women and in-betweens? Their needs are all shallow and no substitute for a real, manly politics: class-based, anti-imperialist, anti-U.S., absolutely nothing smelling of identity politics.