[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Jun 23 10:48:54 PDT 2009

> One can sympathize with lifestyle demands -- I like seeing girls
> in bikinis as much as anybody -- but still regard them as rather
> shallow.

What about Simone De Beauvoir nude?

<http://chicagoist.com/attachments/chicagoist_chuck/2008_02_01_flashback.jpg>

> And then one has to have some respect for the larger
> culture. There is no reason our ideas of prudery and modesty
> should be normative, and if prevailing cultural standards in
> Iran find bikinis as unacceptable as we would find nudity on the
> subway, then that's just tough for the belly-shirt crowd in
> North Tehran.

I feel the same way about the States. Why should our ideas about social justice and political intelligence be normative in a country where the larger culture promotes inequality, aggression, historical lying and economic theft? Aren't we pushing our values on people who find them appalling?

Dennis