[lbo-talk] Zizek on Iran

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 08:16:19 PDT 2009

Zizek wrote this as an op-ed piece for the NY Times (they turned it down), so it's not surprising that there are no links or footnotes. But I've heard all of these arguments both on lbo-talk and elsewhere: --Ahmadinejad is really a populist (in a good way) --Mousavi is a neoliberal/cat's paw for Rafsanjani --Ahmadinejad (probably) really won --The protesters are bourgeois/intellectuals/cosmopolitans or some other variety of "not the real Iranians" (Hell, Neda Soltani's picture is all over the internets with her hair shamelessly uncovered! ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/22/neda-soltani-death-iran) What more proof could you need that this is all part of an imperialist plot to rob Iranians of self-determination?)

Really, just how bad does the repression in Iran have to get before the Hanly/Smith axis reconsiders?

On a more positive note, Ravi, I agree that Zizek's claim, "We are dealing with a genuine popular uprising of the deceived partisans of the Khomeini revolution," comes out of the blue and needs a hell of a lot more support.

MM