[lbo-talk] help my students...

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:07:29 PDT 2009

Students in my general education, "integrative studies" Global Urban Systems (I did NOT generate that title) summer session class have read and discussed a number of things but have been focused on Mike Davis' City of Quartz and his Planet of Slums.

Not surprisingly, esp.since not one of them was actually interested in the topic before taking it as "the least worst gen ed class I gotta take"), their primary reaction has been a combination of confused moral outrage and a-/pre-/post-political depression... however, to my great joy, a number of them (OK, a small number of them) have asked for specific groups they might look into working with, particularly if they were interested in a variety of critical and participatory urban development in the global South (they've been exposed to Michael Goldman's wonderful critique of the World Bank's green neoliberal cooptation of "NGOs" so they know to be suspicious). Davis IS depressing and I want to reward their interest without generating false hope for simple, quick solutions.

A limitation of mine is that I know the academic and intellectual side of this stuff fairly well but not the activist NGO side. Could a fella get some help?

Thanks,

A ********************************************************* Alan P. Rudy Visiting Associate Professor Dept. Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work Central Michigan University 124 Anspach Hall Mt Pleasant, MI 48858 517-881-6319