[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Jun 25 08:01:26 PDT 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 1:25 PM, Eric Beck wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Michael Smith<mjs at smithbowen.net>
> wrote:
>> One can sympathize with lifestyle demands -- I like seeing girls
>> in bikinis as much as anybody -- but still regard them as rather
>> shallow.
>
> Jesus H. Spoken like only a First World white male could say it.

Ran the above by a "third world" brown female friend and she responded that if anything you are the one speaking more like "only a first world white male could". As a "third world"ish brown male, I can see that. But then again, this is and PEN-L are the fora where a bunch of angry white men "defended" brown/Arab men against racist assumptions by brown/black/red men (for considering questions on whether a bunch of untrained blokes could successfully fly sophisticated large aircrafts into tall narrow buildings)!

> How
> far do you want to go with typifying something as a "lifestyle
> demand"

See above. Why do you care how much further he wants to go, when he has specified exactly what he is talking about ("bikinis" for girls).

--ravi