[lbo-talk] Tell them we are democrats (was: freedom to swim)

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Thu Jun 25 08:37:51 PDT 2009

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2009, at 10:18 AM, Chris Doss wrote:
>
>> Of course we can't know, which is my point. However, one thing you
>> can be almost certainly sure of is that a lot of Iranians are
>> A-supporters, and an even larger percentage are for reforming the
>> theocracy in various ways, not for abolishing it. I mean, as far as I
>> can tell the protests are couched in religious terms, like, you know,
>> the color green. Probably there are people who think that A is too
>> secular. That's generally how societies work.

Religious symbolism isn't always about religion, it can very well be simply part of the understood cultural language. For instance, every atheist, purely secular politician in Israel uses quotes from the tanach, and not always cynically, but because it is part of the historical and cultural aether through which Israelis understand themselves and the world around them. Same would be true for cultural/historical/religious Shi'ia symbolic references in Iran, no matter their secular/religious outlook, and it definitely says nothing about their desire for a continued theocracy. Second, and more simply, in the existing theocracy, religious symbolism is about the only symbolic positioning one could take if one wants some semblance of legitimization.