[lbo-talk] Tell them we are democrats (was: freedom to swim)

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Jun 25 13:28:53 PDT 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 4:15 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> That is to say, there is a large number of people, albeit not
> necessarily a majority, that is effectively disfranchised by the
> Islamic governance system in Iran.

Woj, what is meant by "Islamic governance system" here? What are the protesters protesting against, really? Judging that the results sparked the protests, I assume they are not happy with the results i.e., either they do not like the outcome or they do not believe it is legitimate. Beyond that, what are the issues that they have expressed concern about? Are there a lot of banners, slogans, Twitter posts, or whatever is going on, that expresses the above sentiment (disenfranchised by the Islamic governance system)? Given that there seem to be a lot of "Allah u Akbar" chanting, it seems that they are not opposed to Islam as such (or is this a tactical thing, like US leftists carrying US flags, during rallies?).

--ravi