[lbo-talk] Michael Jackson, he dead

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Jun 26 12:17:57 PDT 2009

> I'm torn on this account. On the one hand, MJ was phenomenal at what he
> did. On the other hand, maybe this is nitpicking, I think its crap that
> few
> performers connect with an audience - even huge audiences - like he did.
> My
> feelings about MJ are a lot like my feelings about Reagan - without a
> doubt
> hard work and mesmerizing talent are part of the deal but romanticizing
> this
> guy and his gift(s) - which you are probably not doing - veils more than
> it
> illuminates.

I'm certain that bits of romance are mixed in my appreciation. MJ and I are practically the same age, so I remember him as a child when I was a child. And the comparison to Reagan is accurate to a degree, though MJ was well beyond Reagan in talent and reach. When Reagan died, did you see the same global reaction that you're seeing today for MJ?

Dennis