[lbo-talk] Tell them we are democrats (was: freedom to swim)

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Jun 26 16:46:09 PDT 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:09:44 -0700 Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Here's another quaint idea. Try reading the report, all of it even.

I did, actually. Found it quite unconvincing -- an exercise in tendentious, parti-pris statistical thumbsucking.

The case is based on unfounded assumptions -- such as that increase in turnout *had* to be correlated with A's victory, or that people who didn't vote "conservative" in 2005 wouldn't have voted "conservative" (whatever these broad-brush categories are supposed to mean) in 2009. (Cf. 1964 and 1972 in the US.) And the argument against cross-provincial travel is flimsy in the extreme -- "no population centres near provincial borders" -- as if summer travel were a Gaussian random walk from home.

It's exceedingly contrived and insubstantial. A classic instance of reasoning back from what you *want* to be the case, if not an exercise in deliberate propagandistic mendacity.

Not at all surprising from Chatham House, given the institutional background.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org