[lbo-talk] Tell them we are democrats (was: freedom to swim)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jun 26 17:46:24 PDT 2009

On Jun 26, 2009, at 6:51 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> Quaint, huh? This may be partly due to the fact that Iran doesn't have
> an enlightened, modern Electoral College.

Man, I never thought I'd find myself defending the U.S. electoral system, but at least we don't have a bunch of clerics vetting candidates for office. Yeah, I know there are all kinds of informal vetting mechanisms - money, restrictive ballot laws, ideology, media idiocy, etc. - but at least in theory anyone here can run for office. So this sort of sneer is really preposterous.

Doug