[lbo-talk] Tell them we are democrats (was: freedom to swim)

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Jun 26 18:57:01 PDT 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 21:08:49 -0400 (EDT) Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> So in Kurdestan province, where Ahmadinejad went from 22,353
> votes in 2005 to 315,689 votes in 2009 -- an increase of over 1400%

This is a very unilluminating -- I'm tempted to say "silly" -- way of stating the results. "An increase of 1400%", indeed.

In Kurdestan -- which Chatham House can't figure out how to spell consistently -- A. is said to have gone from 6% of the vote in '05 to 53% in '09. This on a 72% increase in turnout.

Different field, different circumstances, four more years of incumbency.

A striking result, certainly. But evidence of fraud? Hardly. Gotta do better than that.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org