[lbo-talk] Tell them we are democrats (was: freedom to swim)

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Jun 26 21:03:18 PDT 2009

At 10:58 PM 6/26/2009, Michael Smith wrote:
>On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 22:39:16 -0400
>shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
>
> > so why did they come out in force and roundly reject Ahmadinejad's buddies
> > in the mid-term elections?
>
>Dunno. You'd have to ask them. Why did people here re-elect W in
>2004 and "reject" his "buddies" in 2006?
>
>If I understand your line of argument, it's that there must
>have been fraud because they rejected the buddies in the midterms
>and then bit later re-elected the man himself. It's a pretty
>flimsy argument, I gotta say. Such things have been known to happen.

tsk tsk. no wonder you had such opinions of kenneally, you read her like you read me: with your eyelids glued to your eyeballs.

i don't think you need fraud to explain the win and i don't think you need to conclude from the win that it has anything to do with being pro-Ahmadinejad; or that being pro-Ahmadinejad means Anti-American or Anti-Imperialist. The american-hating anti-imperialists comprise 10% of Iranian society. that number has remained steady for quite some time. shit, there really aren't that many american-hating clerical cliques in Qom. And among those, some hate america, but love Europe.

explained it all in several other posts, so I won't repeat the reasons here.