[lbo-talk] Tell them we are democrats (was: freedom to swim)

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Jun 28 09:40:49 PDT 2009

On Jun 28, 2009, at 8:15 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2009, at 10:19 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 21:07:23 -0400
>> Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I care what
>>> Iranians are thinking and doing, and whether the nature of the
>>> Iranian
>>> regime squares at all with my ideas of justice.
>>
>> Doug, these two interests may not be entirely harmonious. Suppose
>> most Iranians don't share your ideas of justice -- where in that
>> case do you land?
>
> My ideas of justice affect what I think and say about events in Iran
> (cue Carrol Cox and his sandbox), but it's up to Iranians, not me,
> of course. But I think there are a lot of Iranians who do share my
> ideas of justice, all the tendencies of the Western left to
> exoticize them aside.

Fine as far as that goes, but it is not an act of exoticising for someone to say that perhaps your "ideas of justice", even if its shared by a "lot" of Iranians, may neither be universal nor shared by the majority. Rather, I suspect, it is the assumption that indeed your ideas of justice are universal that is driving this accusation of exoticisation i.e., you seem to be suggesting that if X does not agree that a majority of Iranians share your idea of justice, then X is exoticising Iranians (correct me, if wrong).

IMHO, ideas of justice can be universalised but only in the form a framework.

--ravi