[lbo-talk] Tell them we are democrats (was: freedom to swim)

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Jun 28 18:30:46 PDT 2009

On Jun 28, 2009, at 1:52 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Jun 28, 2009, at 12:40 PM, ravi wrote:
>
>> Fine as far as that goes, but it is not an act of exoticising for
>> someone to say that perhaps your "ideas of justice", even if its
>> shared by a "lot" of Iranians, may neither be universal nor shared
>> by the majority. Rather, I suspect, it is the assumption that
>> indeed your ideas of justice are universal that is driving this
>> accusation of exoticisation i.e., you seem to be suggesting that if
>> X does not agree that a majority of Iranians share your idea of
>> justice, then X is exoticising Iranians (correct me, if wrong).
>
> Quoting Slavoj Zizek from memory: During the struggle against
> apartheid, the ANC spoke of universal values, and Buthelezi, in the
> pay of the CIA, always talked about special African conceptions of
> human rights.

You are getting my argument wrong. I am not suggesting that special conceptions of justice (or human rights) are legitimate for certain communities. Rather, I am saying that at the outset there are no things other than special conceptions of justice. You have your ideas of justice. Khamenei has his. Bush has his. So on. How do we develop some universal norms against which these can be evaluated?

Perhaps a science of morality would give us a priori codes and laws, or alternatively a framework might emerge from a filtering of these various conceptions to extract out what is consistent.

And this is where the question-begging comes because, unless I missed something significant (which is entirely possible), I haven't seen such an agreed upon or derived set of norms. If we had one, and then denied it to certain groups because we believe those groups are exotic, then your accusation would be correct. But as the debate around bikinis shows, it is the absence of such agreement that describes our current state.

--ravi