[lbo-talk] Tell them we are democrats (was: freedom to swim)

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 29 12:52:37 PDT 2009

At 12:21 PM 6/29/2009, Chris Doss wrote:

>Any society in which you have freedom to swim is blessed by Moong,
>God of the Sky and Gender Equality, and so will flourish. Blessed is
>Moong! Happy are those who obey His Will!

This is another of your non-opinions about Iran?

You said yourself segregated swimming was a big deal in the U.S. Why when it comes to Iran is it just a topic to be dismissed with stupid-ass jokes?

Your first reaction to the swimming in Iran question was how can swimming be important to people living in the desert? That's just dumb. Like saying people don't swim in Tucson:

http://weeklywire.com/ww/12-07-99/tw_feat.html

[...]

The most humiliating thing Fears remembers about growing up in Tucson was the public swimming pool at what is now Oury Park. During the blistering days of summer (and before widespread availability of swamp coolers), a swimming pool was an oasis of untold glory.

In Tucson, however, they had Negro Day. It was on Thursdays. The first three days of the week, the pool was used by Anglos and Hispanics. (In virtually every interview I conducted, Dunbar alumni invariably referred to Hispanics as "Mexicans," the common -- and apparently proper -- term of the day.) Blacks were allowed to swim on Thursdays, after which the pool was drained, cleaned, and made ready for the all-Anglo weekends.

(In a recent article in the Los Angeles Times, a man who had the responsibility of draining and cleaning the massive Brookside Pool near the Rose Bowl in Pasadena overnight after each "Negro Day," admitted that in the 30 years that he had the job, he never once drained the entire pool. Instead, he would drain off a foot or so, as he did every other night, check the chemicals, and then get a good night's sleep on the county's dime.)

[...]