[lbo-talk] I say banana, you say bikini (was: those exotic Iranians)

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Jun 29 13:44:00 PDT 2009

I think you're shifting the terms of the discussion a bit, and your analogy implicitly engages in reification, through making the analogy between a single individual and millions of people. To use your analogy properly, the real problem would be if your mother's preferences were allowed to stand in for the billions of 'third world' women throughout the world (although the act of negation is also very problematic.)

robert wood

P.S. although I've never been terribly fond of the term 'master narrative', it would be better understood in precisely the opposite terms that you present... that is to say, the person who reads her as the exotic other is the one who is involved in a 'master narrative.'

P.P.S. I also want to acknowledge that this is a really messy problem, and isn't necessarily easy to negotiate. there's some interesting stuff on this by the subaltern studies collective (particularly, Chatterjee and Chakrabarty)