[lbo-talk] Free Bernie!

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Mon Jun 29 16:15:38 PDT 2009

At 5:45 PM -0400 28/6/09, Doug Henwood wrote:

>Jailed for our sins?

I see that New York courts and judges have a sense of irony, they've sentenced the 70 year old Madoff to 150 years in jail. If I've worked that out right, it means he'll be 220 when he gets out! The oldest human ever to have lived!

That is to say, the sentence imposed is a transparent fraud, I've hear of making the punishment fit the crime, but this is ridiculous. ;-)

More seriously, I guess all this piss and wind from the judicial system is an indication that there's no intention of any substantial reforms of the financial system to actually put a stop to pyramid schemes. No doubt that is seen as impractical, given that the world financial industry is pretty much based on them.

Instead, we'll just pretend that there's nothing wrong with the system, just a few bad apples. No wonder Madoff has trouble feeling sorry for the greedy stupid people he conned. he was just doing to them what they were trying to do to others.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas