[lbo-talk] Irangeles

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jun 29 19:47:32 PDT 2009

At 10:06 PM 6/29/2009, Doug Henwood wrote:

>Exoticism, I tell you. There can't be any Iranians like us because
>they're so...Persian.

well, as he said, there's no translation *in* Iranian society. it's all about interlopers from the west.

Here's the persian slang dictionary from facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2372460958

Meanwhile, for the music fans on the list:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11182793 http://www.hypernovamusic.com/ (those guys are hawt)

The most popular underground band in Iran, 2005, http://www.myspace.com/127band

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1069077,00.html

"In today's Tehran, a land where political expression can be lethal and thrills hard to come by, dangerous pastimes have a special appeal. Young people are constantly drawn to activities that are extraordinarily outrageous--and very now. When we tired of the bar on wheels, we stopped at a pomegranate-juice stand that stays open until 4 a.m. for anyone who needs a late fix. "Sorbet? Juice? Something else?" asked the juiceman, arching a brow. Ecstasy, the leisure drug of elite Iranians, used to be smuggled into Iran from Europe. Now garage chemists produce the tablets locally, and a hit costs about $2. I slunk low in the car seat and muttered to my Iranian friend, "Aren't we too old for this?" What I really wanted to ask was, When will you stop considering this freedom? When will you care again about what's happening in the world?"

I'd note that this is one of the articles that got her in trouble with the government, published after Imadickinjar took office. While she had written plenty of stories for Time and other publications about drinking and drugging in Iran, they felt she crossed the line by discussing drinking and driving.