[lbo-talk] Tell them we are democrats

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Jun 29 20:26:32 PDT 2009

On Jun 29, 2009, at 11:10 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> Shane Mage wrote:
>
>> You may (obviously do) regard injustice perpetrated against others
>> as "justifiable" when you feel some benefit from it. You may
>> (obviously do) agree with the "reasoning" of the Wolf in the Aesop/
>> LaFontaine fable. What you do not do is deny that the "harsh
>> treatment" is unjust, or that you would rightly protest it as
>> unjust if it was done to (rather than for) you, or that everyone
>> else similarly victimized would make the same protest and be right
>> to do so.
>> Shane Mage
>
> In fact, I do deny that harsh treatment is always unjust.

Look. When *you* inflicted the contemptible Bushit euphemism "harsh treatment" on us you were explicitly referring to this:
> "Just think--suppose Ravi (or Doug or Khamenei or Bush or Hitler) is
> standing on the street watching as a peaceful political protest
> march is passing by. Suddenly the cops, accompanied by thugs from a
> paramilitary "militia," burst on the scene, beating and arresting
> demonstrators.** Ravi (or Doug or Khamenei or Bush or Hitler) is
> beaten, arrested, tortured, convicted, and imprisoned for
> terrorism. Is there anyone who would doubt that each of these
> gentlemen could with total precision claim to have been a victim of
> *injustice*? And could explain to the satisfaction of all why their
> treatment was unjust?"

And to the question whether if *you*, having done nothing at all, were to be "beaten, arrested, tortured, convicted, and imprisoned for terrorism" you--like everyone sane--would be right to protest that you are the victim of injustice, you reply that "In fact, I do deny that harsh treatment [ie., having done nothing at all, to be beaten, arrested, tortured, convicted, and imprisoned for terrorism] is always unjust."

Do you really?

Shane Mage