[lbo-talk] I say banana, you say bikini (was: those exotic Iranians)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 30 17:20:48 PDT 2009

The Western view, if you want to call it that, is special. It is not the baseline for human social reality. "The West" is the one who is exotic, not the Iranians. The Iranians are normal. Secularism, liberalism, etc., even in the "West," are really really new. For the vast majority of history, they did not exist. They only go back to 1700 or so, and then they were fringe notions. They didn't build up steam until the late 1700s and were not the common lingo of the "West" until around 1945. Large percentages of "Western" society do not believe in them even today.