[lbo-talk] Honduras--The Big Lie

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Jun 30 18:08:02 PDT 2009

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Bhaskar Sunkara
> <bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> The WSJ reports were especially sympathetic to the coup
>> plotters, flagrantly so.
>

> It'd be worth a raised eyebrow if they weren't, wouldn't it?

What is further annoying is that the coup provided exactly this explanation for taking state power. So they pre-designed the propaganda campaign and got the supreme court cronies to first opine the referrendum was unconstitutional. When Zelaya went ahead and ordered the military to distribute the ballots, the generals refused So he fired the top general.. The court found the firing unconstitutional and order the military to take power.

It's all very brilliant in its legalistic checkmate. The necons at WSJ and punditry circuits must have loved this. In fact as I was thinking about it, I even suspected some neocon think tank deamed up the chess moves. It's straight out of Machiavelli.. Then I thought, hell the Honduran elite are past masters at this sort of shit, half of them no doubt trained at the School of the Americas, taking CIA seminars, etc.

CG